4.23.2008

these days its hard to tell what's outside from what's in my mind.

Since I moved to this city, I have seen a few people here and there who could be described as hippies, but never all in one place, and never really any who weren't homeless. Tonight, however, the hippies came out to play. I went to see Cloud Cult, who I see described as a "jam band" and never really understood why until now. Hippies love this stuff. You would think they'd come out to see Phish. Either that, or they like the openers, one local jam band and another from New York, both of whom I will resist commenting on because I am trying to cleanse my karma these days.

My friend who tagged along but really wanted to go home was surprisingly cheery when we left. Why? Because the show, once it actually started, was awesome. If you haven't seen them, there is a member of the band whose job it is to paint a whole painting while everyone else is playing instruments. She sings, too, but mostly paints. I'll post pictures when I can figure out how to get them off of my phone. There is also a guy who simultaneously plays the guitar and trombone, then turns around and starts playing the drums, too. The whole thing is kind of marvelous to watch.

I'm really tired and have to wake up early for work so I'll write more later. For now, you should read about how the band uses nontoxic soy ink and records in a building made of recycled materials here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Charles said...

Yay, Cloud Cult!

The jam thing is weird because I normally can't stand that sort of stuff, but it just seems to work with them.

1:15 AM  
Blogger aimi said...

yeah it basically works for them...and not any other band bearing that label. ever.

1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home