5.17.2008

that's why the arm came for you

Writing just seems like such a chore these days (no offense to anyone who actually reads this thing). If all of my other jobs and hobbies were not so text-intensive, I would probably enjoy it more, but right now it seems like homework. Really boring homework. And it occurs to me that I am transitioning to a greater interest in visual culture than music media, though I am also trying to keep my academic life out of my hobby-writing life.

You know what? Screw that. Here is something you should listen to, because the band is awesome and the songs are epic.

Shiller is the new Ratatat 7". It feels kind of like the way everything slows down in the morning when you are headed out the door and there is dew on the grass that gets your flip flops wet. Maybe you slip and stumble a little bit, but you keep going. This is a recurring problem for me, as is the problem of waking from disturbing dreams at 3:00 a.m., 10:00 a.m., and so on. Never 3:01 or 10:02. It is some kind of strange synchronicity, the universe teaching me some strange lesson, as it has been for years, but in a very different way lately.

It is as if there is a different puppet-master up there, with a distinct style. Everything is slowwwww, like a waltz, but more chaotic and disjointed. That is how Shiller feels to me, too, which is why happening upon it in a time of great coincidences makes it feel like more of a Soundtrack to My Life than a great discovery.

This sounds like madness, to you, does it not? It probably is. I'm very groggy these days, with unforeseen consequences for the future.

What else have I been listening to these days...

Just about half of the new Islands album, "Arm's Way." It feels wrong for some reason, for its lack of quirkiness and for its overabundance of dark, slow, deep moments. I don't know how I feel about it at all, except that I can't stop thinking about Tim Kasher when I listen to it.

Same with the new Submarines album, Honeysuckle Weeks. I agree with pretty much everything Charles said about it. No focus, nothing interesting to really latch onto, but at least it sounds kinda sorta nice, in a way that makes me want to listen to it again, and I have, many times, but, you know, eh. I wish there were stronger emotions and real human moments, neither of which I'm really sure the album delivers.

Traffic has been terrible lately. I spend a lot of time driving and listening to music, and right now the rotation is a bunch of albums from a few summers ago. Regina Spektor's 'Begin to Hope,' if for no other reason than for "Summer in the City," the Bouncing Souls' 'Gold Record,' and a few others make me miss the summer of 2006 majorly. Who knows what this summer will bring. So far, not a whole lot of exciting things musically. Wow, I should really go to bed before I say anything else that will jynx the prospects of a good summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home