12.31.2008

Best Albums of 2008: #17: Yelle- Pop-Up


17. Yelle: Pop-Up

There is really nothing profound to say about Yelle. She is French. She wears puffy dresses. She makes fun of male DJ’s who piss her off. She is the kind of total badass that can wear a full-body candy-striped leotard and still command power and authority.

I will be honest and say that I like this album because it makes me feel good to listen to it, but I haven’t the slightest clue what most of the songs are about. This is half-ironic, too, because Pop-Up will forever be solidified in my memory alongside a part of this year that left a sour taste in my mouth, partially because of a person who I did not have the slightest clue about. Somehow, despite this, I still really like it. Maybe because the album makes me want to wear clothing the color of highlighters. It also makes me want to do things that Hipster Runoff would make fun of me for, but I do not care. This whole genre of poppy electronic music by DJ’s is an important cultural moment (the same kind that bands like MGMT exemplify) and I think that this album is a good example of it. You should listen to it, dance to it, drive to it, cook to it, whatever. It will make you feel good, I promise.

Related posts:
Best of 2008: #18: Parenthetical Girls: Entanglements
Best of 2008: #19: The Gaslight Anthem- The '59 Sound
Best of 2008: #20: Billy Bragg- Mr. Love and Justice
Best of 2008: Intro

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home