6.26.2006

back and forth...forever

The same night I watched Last Days, I also rented Me, You, and Everyone We Know. I had very little idea what the film was about, except that the summary boasted something about the interconnectedness of life. I did know, however, that it won a bunch of awards at the Cannes in 2005, so I decided to rent it.

The film is basically a juxtaposition of the lives of a bunch of kids and adults who do various things with their lives but are all very much metaphysical, existential, and totally hilarious. I thought this movie was fantastic and I would highly recommend it to anyone who liked I heart huckabees, Elephant (although not in so dark of a way), or is a fan of Zadie Smith novels.

A couple of comments:

1. Most of the actors in this movie are below the age of 20 and they are all amazing. The two brothers, played by Brandon Ratcliff and Miles Thompson, really make this movie great. There is a specific scene (I won't give it away) that had me laughing for a really long time and still gives me giggles when I think about it. The little girl (Carlie Westermann) is also great. I am really interested in how good child actors become good child actors, especially when their roles present them with issues that are well beyond their years. These three are awesome examples of this. The two teenage girls (Natasha Sleyton and Najara Townsend) weren't great. I guess I have resentment towards people of that age group in general. Maybe they weren't so bad after all, but definitely not as impressive as the other three.

2. Pretty much every second of this movie is hilarious. Miranda July, who also wrote the screenplay (and I think might also have produced or directed the film) is amazing as this crazy performance artist who says and does really whimsical things and is somehow still adored by John Hawkes, who plays Richard. There are some other "serious adult" types in this movie that are almost as funny, if for no other reason than that their characters are utterly ridiculous and satirical.

3. Me, You, and Everyone We Know reminded me A LOT of my favorite novel, Zadie Smith's White Teeth. Not only does it deal with complex issues like biraciality, sexuality, and the meaning of life, it is entirely about connections between unlikely characters that literally define the most life-changing experiences you will ever watch or read. If you haven't read White Teeth, no matter who you are, I would recommend it. I don't know a single person who has not been able to relate to the book, and I think you'll feel the same way about this movie.

4. Michael Andrews, who also did Donnie Darko, did the soundtrack of the film. Although it isn't as dark, it is still essential in producing the whimsy of the film. Any other soundtrack would have given nearly every scene a completely different connotation, and probably would have made me blush a little.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home