8.11.2007

Random music news 8/10/07

The Young Marble Giants are reissuing Colossal Youth, 25 tracks of near-perfection, which, by the way, was Stephin Merritt’s best album of 1980. Relatedly, The Magnetic Fields covered “The Man Amplifier” (track 9) from Colossal Youth on the b-side of “Why I Cry.” Later, Stephin Merritt chose Stuart Moxham to sing “Yet Another Girl” for the 6ths.

I’m a giant snob about the Magnetic Fields, but I really enjoy Tracey Thorn’s covers of “Smoke and Mirrors” and “Book of Love” that I heard this week. She barely changes anything about either song but the addition of her own voice and the removal of some random percussion, and I think they work quite well.

Today, I was browsing through the new SPIN, which I usually think is kind of a POS of a music magazine. The cover proclaims Against Me’s New Wave to be the best rock album ever. Come on, not even I went that far. I couldn’t find the article online, but you can watch somewhat amusing interviews with the band here.

Also, I updated my last post on Against Me!'s New Wave.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sweet, the world needs more MF snobs! Could you send me "Yet Another Girl" and "Man Amplifier"? I have most of Stephin's other stuff and I just love his work!
boywiththethorn@hotmail.com

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home