11.19.2006

Protest Songs

In the wake of the UCLA tasering, I feel a bit like my people have been attacked and violated. Not just my Iranian-American people, but all of us with diasporic identities living on someone else's land, all of us who look different, feel different, and are constantly viewed with suspicion. When I feel vulnerable like this, I listen to a lot of political music to make me feel better/remind me that a new world is possible.

Here are a few of my favorites. Admittedly, they are mostly about war:
Abe Froman: Citizen's Arrest
Against Me!: The Politics of Starving
Against Me!: Those Anarchopunks are mysterious (really everything from this album)
Defiance, Ohio: Tanks! Tanks! Tanks!
Mike Park: No War

Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing - Arundhati Roy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home