2.06.2007

Cruelty-Free Eating




I've always been a bit of a foodie, though more so since I became a vegetarian years and years ago. I've tried to take the plunge into veganism several times, including a trial run at being a raw foodist. With my schedule, and having to eat at the university cafeteria and random resteraunts when I travel, veganism is next to impossible. Even my roommate, the "American vegan" ("American" because she does it when she wants to, and doesn't when she doesn't), seems to have difficulty finding things to eat without having to spend a lot of time cooking for herself every night.

Luckily, I don't mind cooking at all, and I own enough vegan cookbooks to fill a small library. Why, then, haven't I become a vegan yet? I really don't know. I've got all the nutrition stuff figured out, and I'm really good about combining foods properly, not eating a lot of bad starches, and getting the right proteins.

I think I might be ready to take the plunge. After reading a couple of vegan cooking blogs for awhile, I've decided that I can give up sharp cheddar for Seitan Chipotle Mole, boring lunches for fun ones, and baked goods for even better baked goods.

I'm giving myself until the end of the month to get the desire for dairy out of my system, try some cheese substitutes and figure out what I've been eating that has secret un-vegan ingredients. After that, I'll probably post pictures and recipes as I borrow or invent them.

*the picture is from my favorite food blog, Vegan Yum Yum.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post. I'm a vegan, and I'm always looking for new recipes and such.

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home