12.09.2006

We tore the playhouse down

I have been studying my butt off, so this post is totally justified.

Two things:

1. My vegetarian anniversary is coming up. It will be 5 years on the 13th. I haven't decided how to celebrate yet, but I wanted to ask any vegetarians out there if you like fake jerkey and what your favorite kind is. I'm not really into meat substitutes but even my vegan roommate likes these things. The brands I've tried so far are Primal Strips, Tofurkey, and Stonewall's Jerquee. Primal Strips has been the most authentic, but the other two are good, too. I'd like to, if possible, make some for my veg anniversary.

2. I posted last week or something that I thought the new Yo La Tengo album, I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass was mediocre. I take it back. I realize I do this a lot, and I'm going to try to avoid judgement when I am in a bad mood the first time I listen to an album. A couple of the tracks actually do suck, to my defense, but there are a few good ones. "Pass the Hatchet" is a little too long and mid-90's for me. It tries too hard to be epic. "Mr. Tough" and "Ronnie" are too obnoxiously rock'n'roll for me. The best songs on the album are probably "The Story Of Yo La Tengo," "Tonight," "I feel like going home," and "Black Flowers." "Tonight" is for some reason reminscent of "Our Way to Fall," from 2000's And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out. "I feel like going home" gets really good around 1:40 or so. "The Story Of" is very epic (in a good way) and beautiful, though sort of long. It might be one of my top 5 songs of this year.

Listen to it here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home