12.21.2007

Best of '07: Movies

I was going to wait until next week to post this but today I decided my list was correct. So here goes, the best movies I saw this year. As a caveat, there are a few I still have to see that I haven't (Lars and the Real Girl and the Futurama movie), but I'm pretty confident in these five. I noticed that this year I didn't see many serious or actiony movies, but that is okay by me, because these brought me much needed laughter.

5.

The Simpsons Movie wasn't as totally amazingly awesome as I thought it would be, but it did the job and it did it right. And, you know, environmentalism is always a plus.

4.

The Darjeeling Limited was so beautiful, so subtly funny, and such a metaphor for my life. I really just wish we'd seen more of Natalie Portman, though I was more than happy with Jason Schwartzman's performance. If you never watched Hotel Chavalier, check that out also.

3.

I'm not usually one for teen comedy because my high school years were pretty different and I don't relate to these movies at all. Despite that, Superbad made me laugh until my sides hurt for hours. I didn't like it solely because Michael Cera is obviously the funniest person alive. The movie actually has a lot of other qualities (McLovin', crazy cops, etc.) and I actually found the whole friendship narrative quite endearing.

2.

I've written about 2 Days in Paris several times before. Adam Goldberg, as the jealous American boyfriend, almost outshines Julie Delpy in this movie, though she does a great job writing and directing, for sure. Until I'd seen Juno, this was the funniest relationship-related movie I've ever seen in my life, and may still be since relationships in Juno are not nearly as developed as this. Every character is so dynamic, especially Delpy's real-life parents who appear as her movie-parents, as well.


1.

It should come as no surprise to anyone who has read my blog lately that Michael Cera appears twice in my top 5 movies, or that Juno is at the top. I've already seen it twice this week, and I'm going back tomorrow with another friend. Probably again next week. Each time, the characters have become remarkably more developed and rich, relating to one another and connecting in subtle ways that they did not before. I'm pretty confident that this is the best movie I've seen in years, better than Little Miss Sunshine because its characters are so real and hilarious without being over the top, and better than old favorites like Waking Life because it explores the question of human existence in the most pure and sweet way imaginable. The world needs more of that kind of sweetness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home